Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Flags, Drums, Trumpets and Dance!

When I first meet someone and they find out that I am a dancer a lot of times they ask me when and how I started dancing. I find that for other dancers this is a very easy question to answer but I never really know what to say.

I guess I started dancing when I was very young and still living in Mexico. We did very traditional dances that required me to wear cowboy pointy boots and hats. When I moved back to the United States in 2001, I was more worried about learning English than getting back to dance. It wasn't until my sophomore year in High School that I got involved in a performing arts activity called Color Guard with a Non-Profit organization called The Blue Stars Drum and Bugle Corps.

At first I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I thought that I would be doing some dance and spinning a flag here and there. I remember my first summer doing this activity I learned so much about myself, about teamwork and about what it is to have family. I did this activity every summer for many years and it wasn't until my sophomore year of college in 2008, that I received a call from a friend that I had met doing this activity. I remember she woke me up to tell me that I needed to go to the University of Minnesota Dance Program Auditions. That same morning I went to the audition and got accepted to the U of M Dance Program. Over that last couple years I have separated myself from the Drum and Bugle Corps activity just because dance has consumed a lot of my time.

Today I still look at this activity as the creator of what I am today.


This video is just a sample of the activity that I used to do. Enjoy!

No comments: