Friday, January 23, 2015

Gluten-Free Eats!

Hey all! Here's a new series I'm thinking of starting on this blog: Gluten-Free Restaurant Reviews! With a better title, for sure.

Gluten is found in anything with wheat, and while it's not necessarily unhealthy your body takes a lot of effort to process it, some being able to handle it with ease and some not. I've got Celiac and I've absolutely got to stay away from gluten because of it, and so when I moved to Ludlow a few months back one of the first things I sought to do was find some great places nearby where I could eat without concern.

And I've got to say, I'm really impressed with what our Ludlow neighborhood has to offer! There's a bunch of places that I'm looking to try again before I can really talk about the menu, but there is one restaurant I can talk about for sure, since they only have one thing available...

Taquitoria!

Head out the door, cross the street, walk left and you'll get there in no time! That's right, it's actually on Ludlow Street itself, and it's barely a walk away. Taquitoria's a tiny restaurant right between Stanton and Houston, and the one thing they sell, if you haven't guessed, is Taquitos!

You know, those thin pseudo-burritos you fry, and toss toppings on and whatnot. Sound like a weird thing to focus your restaurant on, right? I was skeptical at first, but really impressed by the end of the meal. Their toppings are a lot of sauces and yet the taquitos stayed really crunchy, and despite the fact that they're fried the taquitos were possibly the least greasy I've ever had. If I had done my research, the quality wouldn't have surprised me much: Taquitoria's run by a bunch of former gourmet chefs, and they use ingredients from the fancy restaurant they used to work at. Taquitoria is dedicated to being gluten-free too (big plus for me), as well as free of wheat, soy, nuts, and shellfish.

You can order taquitos filled with beef, chicken, pork, or black beans (a vegetarian option), and then decide to top it with their "Classic" option (guacamole, lettuce, cotija cheese), "Cheesy" (nacho cheese, sour cream, pickled jalapeno relish), or combine the two with the "Chronic" option (an extra $3, by the way). You can pick up three of these for $6 or five for $9, and then they've also got sides available if you want a salad, rice and beans, or chips and salsa.

So if any of that sounds good to you, I say give it a shot! I'll let you know what other good eats I find.

No comments: