Monday, March 25, 2013

Things I learned online while not writing my papers...

Inner monologue:
"I have a project. I have a project I have to do. I have a project I need to do. It's not necessarily a project that I want to do. All I know is that I want my project to be done..."
-Levni Yilmaz, Tales of Mere Existence

With three papers and several cover letters to write in the next week a a fair amount of digital procrastination was bound to occur. Here is a brief compilation of things that I have learned while not working on my schoolwork. While I wouldn't recommend actually clicking on any of these things until your work is done it is likely that because you are on this page you are in the same boat. At least then we will not be working on our papers together.


  • Godzilla's inner life if beautiful and complex. He is perhaps one of the most misunderstood creatures in the monster genre. This I have gathered from careful reading of godzilla haikus. For example, "Do you not yet see? The city is your prison, I grant you freedom."
  • The popular comic strip Calvin and Hobbes is in fact named after theologian John Calvin and philosopher Thomas Hobbes.
  • You can learn WordPress in under 30 minutes and develop your very own blog for free. This is one that I started at my internship site. http://artclubhhsite.wordpress.com/
  • Anything is made instantly funnier when presented by hand-drawn chickens on post-it notes.
  • Odd compliments can be either strangely endearing or disturbing and creepy.
  • Even adults enjoy playing in the sand. You can do so online, for free, for hours.
If you find yourself actually needing to be work done you may want to try a free app called Concentrate which you can use to block websites such as YouTube, Pinterest, Netflix, Tumblr, Twitter, etc. for the length of time you designate. I will be setting mine for the next several hours as soon as I press publish.

No comments: