Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Little Taco Haven



Yes, the Lower East side is home to a bevy of small cafe's and delicious italian restaurants. Then where in the hell do you get your daily dose of savory Mexican food? Surprisingly your answer is hidden in the Essex Street Market. Next to the butcher is a small stand alone place called Brooklyn Tacos. Let me tell you, don't dismiss the place because of it's quaint demeanor. The place packs a feisty punch.

The two guys running the place are in their mid twenties. Jesse the owner and co-founder of Brooklyn Tacos is a super nice guy with an awesome history. He graduated from the French Culinary Institute and worked in and out of restaurants for 5 years. When I asked him what compelled him to create Brooklyn Tacos he said, "I was sick of the politics out there, I wanted to create solid good food". Let me tell you, he's achieved that incredibly well.

I told Jesse my budget was $15 and to surprise me with whatever he thought he should serve up. I ended up with a spicy braised brisket taco and chicken adobo taco. The braised brisket melted in my mouth and the spicy punch was refreshing and real compared to the packaged tobasco sauce most places serve. Also, he gave me some chips and guacamole. The guacamole was absolutely fantastic, but my god the chips are so flaky and crisp. Suffice to say it, I was very impressed and I'll be back there again  I'll see you there!

Spicy Braised Brisket Taco
Chicken Adobo Taco

No comments: