Saturday, October 18, 2014

My Favorite Food (well, most of the time)


My favorite food is curry chicken and white rice. Well, at least most of the time it is my favorite. It switches sometimes (to oxtail, ribs...), but consistently it is my favorite dish. I have many fond memories of sitting in front of a bright yellowed chicken contrasted with pure white rice. There is nothing like it when it's done right. It is so simple, but like other simple foods, it can be complicated to master. First off, it is hard to find a perfect prepackaged Jamaican curry. Most sold in stores are pretty good, but if you want to hit perfection you will have to make your own, or find a Jamaican Indian native that make the perfect blend. Both can be hard. 
The fact that I am a college student and i don't have time to do either, I bought the prepackaged curry. Recently, I tried to make the best curry I could from my prepackaged curry mix. It turned out Ok. well, actually, it turned out tasting more like Indian curry (a little different from Jamaican curry or Indian Jamaican curry). This was because I used too much curry. It was actually pretty delicious, but not what i was aiming for. Back to the drawing board. Looks like I will have to make my own curry mix.

Ingredients:
(I eyeballed all ingredients:season to taste)

garlic powder
onion powder
Jamaican allspice seasoning mix (meat seasoning that contains allspice)
black pepper
paprika
italian herb mix
adobo 

scallions
onions
garlic cloves
allspice seeds (3-4, very strong)

1 potato




No comments: