Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Concrete tubes and one fast dude

You know what I really hate? Well okay I hate a lot of things but one of the things I really REALLY hate is taking the train. The entire process of descending into the putrid cesspool of sweat, rats, and alligator farts. Packing my body into a loud metal tube that will then travel through a network of other concrete tubes, frequently stopping for no reason and possibly containing human fecal matter.

Photo by Mike Morelli on 1st Ave near 4th st
This does not appeal to me, not to mention the fact that the train I want will doubtlessly be either A) Canceled for the small block of time in which I need it to be running, B) Be running on a completely different track or C) Make all stops except the one I'm getting off at.

  Some people say, "But Mike! What about busses?" To this I respond "What are busses?" I waited at a 'bus stop' for an hour once and I didn't see a thing.


You know what I do like? A lot? Being completely liberated, able to move freely through traffic, on any street, and go as fast or as slow as I like with the wind in my face and the sun on my skin. Feeling the seamless connection of man an machine, and cracking 30mph before I even get to class. I also like laughing at gridlocked motorists. A lot.

Long story short this is a shameless plug for everyone to get a bike and ride it everywhere all the time like me.

"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man.  Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish.  Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."  ~Iris Murdoch, The Red and the Green

No comments: